Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dating in Los Angeles

It sucks. For me at least. And my friend. Let's call her Tammy.

Tammy and I have been friends for a couple of years now. She's in her early 30's like myself. She's blonde, petite, smart, very outgoing. And she has never had a boyfriend. At least for more than 5 months. She's originally from northern California and she's basically lived here since college. No boyfriend. All of her friends, (besides me of course) are all in relationships or married. They have even tried to fix her up with some of their friends. Nothing. We've been out to bars together several times. No one approaches us and when we talk to them... tumbleweeds.

Speaking of bars. Every time I go out in LA, everybody who comes in already knows each other, so there's really no mingling really. It's the same groups who come in together, stick together, and leave together. The guys may smile at you while their going up to get their drink, then they run back to their girlfriends. Who are hanging on to the bottom of their leg.

I say all this to say this. Everybody in LA is in these ridiculous long term relationships. I say ridiculous because some of the people who I see in long term relationships are quite ridiculous. Imagine seeing the weirdest sketchball guy ever in a department store, shopping, drueling at the mouth and you are totally afraid to go near him. He starts coming near you to ask you a question and you fear for your life. Now imagine yourself backing away and then his cute perfectly normal girlfriend comes upstairs and plants one straight on the mouth and they soon share a loving embrace, making you instantly wonder... what the hell did you wrong with your life?

Tammy and I always have this discussion when we go out. It's not necessarily about love. Love is a long shot. But we really cannot figure out what's wrong. We do not know why that we are the in-between relationship girl. The girl he needs to pass the time. Not the girl that the dude will eventually go running back to, but she won't take him back because she dumped him and has found someone better. We're the fun girl. We're also never the only girl.

I have a co-worker that just broke up with his girlfriend. I don't even think I like him, but yet I thought about pouncing on him solely because it's such a anomaly that he's single man.

Anyway, there will be a part two to this. I have more.

Anyway, there will be a part two to this.

No comments: