Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Bi-Yearly Freakout

Editor's note: I go through this initial freakout maybe about twice a year, and I have probably written this word for word in some form or another, whether it's been spread out through several entries, or one big rant. So, feel free to skip if you've heard it before, or you're just sick of hearing it period.

I cannot believe, I still do not have a fucking boyfriend

I broke up with my ex, my actual fiance ex going on 4.5 years now, and for sure thought by the time I was almost 30 I would at the very least almost be engaged. Or in a long-term relationship. Nope. Nothing. Not even close. There have been (gasp) several dalliances in and out, no pun intended. But nothing even remotely close to stable, nothing, in 4 and a half years.

One of my friends who lives in Tennessee recently got engaged. She deserved to be engaged, she's a really great girl. She got enagaged to a man who supports her, who understands her, and most of all, loves her for who she is.
She's younger than me by about 2 years, and she's one of the more mature people that I know. I am genuinely happy for her, but my inner bitch says, why can't that happen to me?

I know have been carrying on about how I've been working on myself, loving myself, and blah, blah, blah whatever...but one the issues that I have spoken about in my therapy sessions is how every positive thing that I do for myself is in some way or another subconsciously doing it to get a boyfriend. For example, "Ooh, I like football, men like football, men have to like women who like football. Ooh, I run. Some men run, men like women who run." So on and so forth. I've gotten a lot better about it lately. But like I said earlier. The bi-yearly freakout is inevitable.

Yes, I know its where I am. That situation will change soon. But I honestly don't think that this is going away when I move. At the college I went to, out of 23,000 students, there were 900 black people. 500 of them were women. You would think at one point in time or another, at the very least one of the trifling men would trickle down to me...nope. I didn't even have sex until the middle of junior year.

Recently, the first male I had been seeing since my "metamorphisis", didn't have a job (but he was laid off), lived with his mama (I live with my mama, so I can't get mad), and I (begrudgingly admit) did not have a high school diploma. Let me see, what were the good things, again....oh. He was a gentleman, big time. He actually wanted to date me, and I believed he just generally liked being around me. It wasn't until then I at that moment that I thought, that every single solitary male that I have ever dealt with ever, was an asshole.

How did we "break up"? It was my fault honestly. I didn't want to have sex him. I said I would eventually, but I lied, I wouldn't. I'm pretty sure he caught on to that, and moved on accordingly. Its cool. And that's the way it should be.

Yeah, there's going to be a part 2 to this one.

5 comments:

a said...

I know someone (whose identity will remain confidential...I've promised her I would never talk about her on the internet) who spent many years worrying that she would end up alone. She worked very hard, and this didn't exactly allow her time to have the chance to meet men. At the point that she thought it was too late, she found someone (or someone found her) and they got married. And lived happily ever after.

But waiting is the hardest part. I've cried myself to sleep before wondering if I was ever going to find someone that was truly right for me, even when I was in a relationship (although not the current). It's a very scary and lonely world out there.

I'm sorry you're feeling this way, I really am. But I promise that life will get better. You ARE a catch, there's nothing wrong with you. The right person is out there, but maybe it is time to get out of Tuscaloosa and find some more sophisticated males. It's not exactly a never-ending fountain of ideal men.

(hugs)

cookie21204 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cookie21204 said...

Tried that juli,
obviously you haven't read these...

http://wannabestarlet.blogspot.com/2006/01/desperate-dot-com-part-2
.html
http://wannabestarlet.blogspot.com/2005/12/desperate-dot-com
.html

Unknown said...

I imagine there to be plenty of eligible bachelors in LA. And if not there is a whole 'nother half of the general population that you have yet to explore. Just a little brainstorming. Thats all.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain...