Sunday, April 10, 2011

Single People with Married Friends.

I made this vow with myself earlier this year, or maybe this week that I need to get out more, so I have genuinely made a concerted effort to have plans made every weekend. Plans not necessarily meaning going out to a club, but just getting out period. On tap this weekend, dinner and kareoke with my two cousins.

Now I live in Los Angeles and she lives in Orange County, so the place where we usually end up meeting is Long Beach or rather Lakewood. Ugh. For those of you who are not familiar with southern California, no matter how much you absolutely hate LA, it's still better than living in Long Beach.

I say all that to say this, Lakewood is er..well...not my speed. The night started off like this. My cousin is married, and my other one is engaged, I'm the only single one. A fact that I really didn't deem as important as much as I did last night. When single people have married friends that they go out with, you know what they do? They flirt like hell with who ever single comes by and when the single man passes them by, they pass them off to their desperate single friend. Modify that times ten when their drunk.

So we get to the restaurant, not even five minutes after we sit down, some guy comes over and starts talking to us. Not hitting on us, but he was really "entertaining". Long story short, he was basically throwing out his fishing line to see who he could catch. Very flattering.

My cousin immediately starts flirting with him, and makes sure she points me out as the single one. His eyes widened. So I had to let him down gently and take his business card in order to save face. I told her very nicely to back off when we there.

We get to kareoke. I genuinely go to this little dive bar to enjoy watching the people get drunk and make an fool out of themselves on stage. So this guy sits down right next to us and offers to buy us our drinks. At first he seemed very nice, but once again I wasn't really in the mood for getting someone's number. As the night went on my cousin got more drunk and proceeds to kick me and keeps suggesting that I get his number. The guy as the night wore on proved to be another creepy attention whore. Stalker; clingy like. Talking about marriage and kids within the first five minutes of meeting. If you are single, you can spot these things very quickly. I ended up doing something out of character and giving him my number because of my cousin's big mouth, and I genuinely felt bad that he'd been led on so much by her. I had no intention of answering the phone when he called. Mean, but I don't believe in even letting someone take me out on a date and spend money on me when I have no intention of dating them on the regular. I just think that's rude.

Anyway, my cousin and I are due for a talk. We'll see how it goes. Not mad, but this journey is hard enough on my own without someone who doesn't understad what you're going through making it more complicated.

I gave my number late late week to a guy who seemed very disappointed that I wouldn't let him come over to my house at 9:00 at night, roughly one hour after meeting him. Times are looking up.

No comments: