Thursday, August 03, 2006

I still have issues - the mini-post

Well, so today was the big day. I went to the psychiatrist. I was so excited. I finally get to see someone on a regular basis to talk about my issues, and get some help., blah, blah, blah..

Turns out Tom Cruise may actually be onto something.

I basically paid $100 dollars for someone to tell me that I was in the wrong office. Psychiatrists can write perscriptions, yes, but unfortunately nowadays that's all they do. Its the counselors and the therapists who actually do all the talking and listening i.e. the actual work. Nobody told me this, even the two people who went to see him before who recommmended me to him neglected to tell me this. They're both pretty much addicted to their anti-psychotic medication so I should have known better.

But I haven't given up yet, I did make an appointment with a therapist and I'm determined more now than ever to get my issues straightened out.

2 comments:

cookie21204 said...

thanks

Julian said...

I am a "psychologist in training" and I saw that you were going to see a psychiatrist and I wondered if you knew what they do- people ask me all the time about the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist. They used to do counseling but now they make about $100 every 15 minutes prescribing meds. Good luck with the search- and don't be pressured into taking meds if you don't need them- try the counseling first :D