Tuesday, September 27, 2005

I heart LA

I know its been freaking forever since I've posted, but I have been out of town on vacation. My sleep schedule is all fucked up and I'm still tired, but it was fun though. I went to LA by the way.

Umm lets see, what do I need to cover. Celebrity sightings, cultural differences, and traffic. Oh, we also need to touch on how much people tend to really start hating their lives when they come back from vacation. Yippee!! let's begin.

Celebrity Sightings
Actual paparazzi encounter with Matthew Fox, aka dude from lost, aka old dude from Party of Five, or this dude. There were literally cameras following him the entire time we were in the airport, and no one gave a shit. I had to give synopsis to at least 3 people who didn't know he was a celebrity, let alone what show he's on.
I also saw this girl. It was one of those, I know that girl from somewhere moments as opposed to what movie did she play in moments. No, no camera's were following her or anything, she was in front of me at LAX. Only reason I remembered her face is because I sat through a one torture filled hour of I heart Hucakbees, one of the shittiest movies ever made. She saw me look at her and smiled, she probably thought I recognized her but honestly I had no idea who she was. Desperate.
What fascinated me the most about LA is that its really easy to spot an actress. Even if you don't know who the fuck they are. Most actresses are really short. Most women there are really short I noticed. I'm only about 5"7, 5"8 and I came home and I swear I think I grew an inch. Also, people in LA are not as skinny as you think they are, only the actresses. They don't even look real they're so skinny. I believe if I did and 8-ball every day of my life for the next year I couldn't be that skinny. But they are.
All the men are in shape, too; even the old ones. Its not like here, men make the time and the money to get to that gym. Not saying the south should be like the west, but I just finished a 2-hour discussion about the different varieties available for buffalo wings.

Cultural Differences/Traffic
I was born in a big city, so its not a big culture shock. The biggest culture shock is how confusing that damn city is, its like a maze. You have to get on the highway to take out your garbage. And if you haven't lived there for one hundred years, you'll still get lost. And when you get lost, you can be 5 minutes down the road and you think you accidentally wandered off to Mexico somewhere. No offense to the Latinos, but some of you mother fuckers need to pick up an English dictionary once in a while to help a sista out when they take a wrong turn.
As a result, I understand why people don't go anywhere unless they have to.
Oh, yeah. You don't eat when you're there. I was so busy being on the 15 east instead of the 91 west or whatever the thousand highways I'm supposed to be on, that I didn't think about eating. Plus your scared to death to pull off the highway to get something to eat, or you end up in Oregon somewhere when you get back on it.

Why we hate our lives after vacation
Nobody likes going to work after vacation, no one. So when you come from a major city where you always have something to do, always have a destination to reach, always running into different types of people, constantly learing about opportunities to build your career to coming home to a 2-hour in depth discussion about buffalo wings, you realize shit is a little different. The only reason I wanted to come home was my skin was acting crazy and I was out of Retin-A.
All in all, I had fun. This is my third time visiting LA and I actually got a real feel of what the city is about, I had a hotel and a car so I didn't have to depend on nobody. And my company was great, so I couldn't complain. Now I need to work on getting a car with a GPS system.

3 comments:

a said...

I liked LA. I'm still surprised by that. It's a shame you didn't really get to dine there, because the food is insanely good. Except for the Ethiopian that my brother forced me to eat (it was questionable...messy and you have to eat with your hands) it was probably the better food I've ever had.

I'm glad you had a good time, though :)

It's a shame that going away makes coming back so very hard. But the two hour in-depth discussion about buffalo wings? That totally sounds like the poll.

Unknown said...

U return from Cali with no weirdo encounter stories? Nonsense! And no beach? And no trips to the real OC? And no gang run-ins? We were looking for more. We gonna need u to make up some stuff. And if you havent seen Isla in Wedding Crashers yet then you need to see that immediately. That was definitely a break out role.

cookie21204 said...

i apologize for that. I had a very pleasant experience and everyone one nice; sorry to diappoint.
But I did drive through one bad neighborhood though if that makes you feel better