Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The Plight of the (my) Black Woman's Hair

This post does not apply to the black women with natural hair, natrually curly hair(or good hair to be more ghetto), or black women who know how to do their own hair, I'm speaking directly to women with short to medium length hair, who has to make her way to the beauty shop every two weeks, or its a trifiling nasty mess

My number one insecurity by far is my hair. Its thin, its short, and it breaks when the wind blows too hard. My entire life has been an uphill battle dealing with my hair. I have also struggled with the reality that I do not have long hair. A fact, to this day, that I still have yet to accept. I have the type of hair that I literally have to do something to every day, whether I have to roll it up or curl it. The wrap and go, or the throwing it back in a ponytail is just not an option for me.

I was traumatized as a little girl by my aunt, who is a licensed beautician, who my mother dragged me and my sister to every two weeks like clockwork to her shop. When you get to be about 11 or 12, and your mom doesn't do your hair and she lets you get that first perm, your life changes. You realize at this moment, that your hair is going to be more important that it has ever been. If it looks bad, people are going to tease you about it, if it looks good everybody's going to tell you. Well, I got my first relaxer and my hair grew like a weed. 7th grade I think it was. It was long for a good 6 to 9 months, until my aunt decided it was time for a trim. Then two weeks later it she said I needed another. My hair hasn't been the same since.

I remember when Lenell Page came up to me and said, "Damn, your hair's short, it used to be long." Just stick a dagger in my throat why don't you.

My parents, or my father, are not one for the ethnic hairstyles, like cornrows and braids, he felt they looked stereotypical, so I wasn't allowed to get any or have them in my hair. Even in college, my father told me "if I catch you with braids, you cannot live here while you have them." So get braids so my hair can grow out, or be homeless. Hmmmm.

I realized a little later in life, that my aunt, cannot do hair to save her life. My mother for years brainwashed me into thinking she could. I kept going to her for so long because my mother made me. My sister also has thin, short hair so I know my theories aren't crazy. When I was really broke and didn't have a job about three years ago, I went to her again so that she can give me perms, my hair was breaking really bad becuase of all the stress I was going through and said I needed a trim, to which I quickly replied no. With my-can't-hold-an-opinion to-myself-to-save my-life mother was standing there. She said "Let Ann give you a trim, honey. It looks really bad, and its not like you can afford anyone else.", and she turned and worked her voodoo magic on my aunt as well. Stupid ass me, said fine. Its scissors, not a razor, it is really breaking badly, so fine, I thought to myself. When she was done trimming, I was literally almost bald from above my ears down, and she did it completely with scissors so it was crooked. I'm starting to flinch, so I'll stop talking about this now.

I am currently on a hair stike, because I'm still in this hellhole, and have to move back home. Stress broke my hair a little so I am currently wearing cornrows, since I don't have the time or the patience for somebody to braid my hair for 7 hours. I acutally found a shop within walking distance to my house, that is really cheap. So I made my first appointment. Girl was late, I was on my way to work, so in turn I was late. No big deal, it happens.

Second, time, I make my appointment at 8:00 on a Monday since they were "booked" on Saturday. I show up no one's there. 30 minutes later, no one. Finally I harass the foremen who are working there to find a call phone number because I am pissed. They don't even have a phone number on their contract to their building. I can't pull a comb through my hair, I'm fucked.

So this is why I went to my aunt for so long, black beauticians across the board have issues. Excuse me, the best black beauticians have issues. You want your hair done, you work on their time not yours, don't get there on time neither, because they will call you and tell you they're going to be late, if at all. You know they're good, so they know you'll come back. Sadly that girl who stood me up yesterday only charges 25 dollars and can do my whole head in less than a hour.

I need to make an appointment with her next week when she gets back.

10 comments:

Jhaldir said...

Maybe you should try going natural again and see what happens.

cookie21204 said...

I am going to go natural so to speak. I've been seeing a new beautician who told me about the art of the sew in weave. So I will be all about that for a little while. I'm so excited

trejan29 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
trejan29 said...

Oh Lord.
Remember when my cousin got a sewn in weave??? She thought her hair would look better than Aaliyah's. Remember she paid $250?? Her mom had to help her cut that shit out of her head because the girl who sewed it in had repeatedly poked her head with the needle. She had scabs everywhere. You get what you pay for and and sometimes your hair is more damaged when it's taken out more often than not because a person's hair is too damaged to have it done.
I think your problem has always been you think of yourself as a girl with long hair that's going through changes and you've had no interest in having beautiful healthy short hair. You've always treated your hair like it wasn't good enough and it has acted that way. LEAVE YOUR HAIR ALONE!!! Take the time to find a beautician that specializes in hair care and get your hair healthy BEFORE you start getting shit sewn to your scalp.
"Sigh"
I know I've been making this point to you for years and you still have yet to listen. I told you to stop letting your Aunt butcher your hair when we were in high school.

cookie21204 said...

I have a beautician now who is pretty good with damaged hair who specializes in it. I've been seeing her for about a month and my hair has actually grown since I have. Its not $250, its $85 and it only lasts for a month. Its not long aaliyah weave, it looks like a short roller set and I still need to take care of my own hair while I have it in. If it sucks, i go and have it taken out. I haven't put a chemical or a curling iron in my head in about 6 weeks to prepare for the process. Trust me, I'm not your cousin, I have thought long and hard about this and I think it should be okay.

trejan29 said...

Is it a basket weave?

trejan29 said...

I'm still skeptical

cookie21204 said...

i don't think you should be. I've seen a couple of girls who got theirs done by her and it turned out fine. like i said before, if it sucks I call leslie, my old beautician, she'll take it out right away before it does any real damage.

Dee said...

good luck. I'm with fiyah though. Either that or learn to do it yourself. I've been doing my own hair for a year now. I strongly recommend you learn to do your own hair. Too many hands in your hair causes it to break. It needs someone to love it and be gentle with it, and sometimes only you can be that person.

Anonymous said...

You should try going to a Dominican and using really good products. All my hair was shedding like crazy. I had hair down my back and it slowly but surely fell out up to my chin. I was working out a lot and I was living in Philadelphia where the DO NOT know anything about HEALTHY hair. Anyway, I think you should concentrate on good products (Kera Care and Alter Ego). Go on longhaircareforum.com.