Monday, March 07, 2005

Movie Reviews: Diary of Mad Black Woman/There Eyes were watching God

Basically if you're black and you live in the south you have heard of Tyler Perry, and if you were born and raised in the church in the south, you own DVD's of all of his plays. For those of you who don't know, I'll give you a brief refresher course. Tyler Perry is a man who at one point lived in his car because he wanted to follow his dream of putting on stage plays that included positive Christian messages, and his plays usually include a character where he dresses up in drag and waves a gun around being silly. These plays are commonly referred to as the "chitlin circuit" plays, and most of the time they have titles like, "mama, I lost my gun" or "mama, I stole something but I forgot what it is". You get my drift...

You see, in these parts, Tyler is a phenomenon. When he puts on that dress and those fake breasts people come out in droves. His DVD's are never in stock and the tickets to his plays sell out within the first week. Me, being the perceived snob that I am had not ever heard of Madea or his plays, and when I did my exact reaction was, "I'm not seeing that ghetto shit." One fateful day at my uncle's house during Thanksgiving, we had no cable or movies, but my aunt is on the mailing list for Tyler Perry's whole collection and she brought them all. As much as I didn't want to, I actually enjoyed them. Except for the fact that people tend to break out in bad gospel songs every five minutes, there a hoot. Needless to say, Tyler Perry is hilarious. So when I found out that Diary of a Mad Black Woman was being made into a movie, deep, deep down on the inside I was excited. But, of course, I didn't tell anybody.

Also, because of the "bougie" perception that I carry, I don't like a lot of black movies. A lot of them just straight up suck. They also insult black people's intelligence. My best friend tells me that I hate black movies because I'm act like a white girl. But since I am a movie buff, everyone deserves a fair shot. Hell, I even enjoyed Friday after Next; so how white could I be.

So now that brings me to Diary of a Mad Black Woman. My initial thought was that I didn't think that the movie would translate very well to screen, and low and behold I was correct. I liked the fact that Tyler Perry did not compromise his vision and kept his christian messages in the movie that were actually spoken by the characters, instead of hiding them behind subtle undertones. I also liked the fact that Madea kept the same spirit as she did in the plays, but other than that, it was equivalent to a really bad soap opera. Your distracted most of the time by Kimberly Elise's and Shemar Moore's horrible wigs, and there is some really good talent here that is wasted on a badly written script. And when I say bad, I mean bad. Like the "canceled soap opera Generations from back in day" bad.

So Oprah decided to make a movie out of one of my favorite books, They're eyes were watching God. And she decided to cast one of my favoritist actresses in the whole world, Ms. Halle Berry!!!(is that sarcasm obvious enough? If not here's clarification, Halle berry can't act worth a damn). I like Oprah because she really doesn't promote anything that she doesn't put her heart and soul into. And even though Beloved was a shit mess, she spoke about it as if her child was made fun of in kindergarten by the other children.
Plus, that woman has damn good taste in books. I digress...

Anyway, I really wasn't expecting very much of they're eyes were watching God. But I actually thought the movie was pretty good. It wasn't rushed, the acting for the most part was decent (except when halle over emotes, I hate that), and the story held up really well. This book is fantastic, and you can't fuck up the movie or people will crucify will you for it. So I have to give props to Miss Oprah and Miss Halle. You two work very well together. Also, what's up to Michael Ealy, when you and Halle break up (which you will because that hoe has isssues), call me, I'm in the book.

6 comments:

The G Perspective said...

Dang bruh, what you got against Beloved. I liked the movie. Anyway. I agree with you. Most black movies really suck. I'm not bourgie or anything. I just don't like dumb shit so most of the time I don't even bother with most of the trash they aim at black people. However I guess I'll get around to seeing Diary just because I live in the south and I'm familiar with the chitlin circuit.

cookie21204 said...

he is so sexy. those eyes should be illegal

G. Cornelius said...

Okay how can you blow up my spot about DOAMBW & then have the nerve to even mention Friday after Next...

And another thing...
"Basically if you're black and you live in the south you have heard of Tyler Perry, and if you were born and raised in the church in the south, you own DVD's of all of his plays."

People in the south aren't the only ones that are up on TP...

The tour for his two recent plays have a dates in Sacramento, Oakland, Las Vegas, Seattle, San Diego, LA, Newark, New York (twice), DC (twice), Baltimore, Ackron, Detroit, Hampton, Columbus, you want me to keep going...Actually there is about a total of 6 cities in the south that his tour hits...And if he just depended on us he would gross as much as he does off plays...He would have even hit it big in the box office...

And also the "chitlin circuit" took its root in the northeast...

And Halle can't act...You must be crazy...Anybody that can play a crack head (Losing Isaiah & Jungle Fever) can act...The girl has won Golden Globes, a Screen Actors Guild (which is very hard to get nominated for), & a Oscar...Come on be for real...get off the bottle of haterade...

I'll keep you posted (your neighborhood philosopher on plots & cenimatography)

cookie21204 said...

this is for g. cornelius harris, if you have been in acting class for years and have studied acting like myself. You will easily be able to see that the bitch can't act. Also, if you have been to LA and have pursued acting like myself, you would also realize, that she's beautiful and that's pretty much all you need. Those awards don't mean shit because its all about poltics and who can kiss ass, its a campaign, not a contest.

G. Cornelius said...

The thying is that you have been trained to try to act...I've studied under cinematography for a long while...And I see it the way I see it...Now when you want to start talking about theme, plots, and angles come holla at me...I'll keep you posted

ListenToLeon.net said...

That Teacake guy looks like my cousin Chris, only without dreads. Women used to sweat him like that, too back in college. Either way, I'm glad to see that ol boy is bringing it back for the lightskinned mofos. I may get some residual ass thanks to him being the sex symbol of the moment LOL.

Also...Friday After Next kicks ASS. That movie was funny as shit(although it was the least funny of the three "Fridays")