Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Hot ghetto mess

I always say that if could do it all over again, I wouldn't have gone to college because I felt that nothing I learned in 4-years of college has prepared me for the shit that I have to put up with my places of employment.

Basically if you're not an going to be an engineer, doctor, laywer, or if you are entering any sort of specific profession that requires at least a college degree, don't go to college. Right now, I'll bet good money that if you pull a black college student aside and ask them why they are going to school they will tell you, "so I can get a job." What's your major? "criminal justice" or psychology, or my favorite human development and family studies. No offense to all of the other HDFS majors but what the fuck kind of major is that. That is a major specifically created that if you flunk out of a real major, that is one of the ones especially created to graduate (also, see human environmental sciences and some version of interdisciplinary studies). College students are going to school just to get a job, any job, so they can apply somewhere and work. College lies to them and tells them that this is a plausible plan.

I apologize for my tangent, I will now proceed with my point.

Your fucked if you do, fucked if you don't. So I got a promotion at my part time job. Before I was basically a web surfer, and I do it in the morning before I come to my full time job. My CEO at my morning job is not a very intelligent man so I was very happy I don't have to deal with him on a person to person basis, I just dealt with my direct supervisor. The CEO catches wind that I come in to work on time everyday, do what I am supposed to do and go home, an unusual feat for a standard workplace. So he gives me a little more responsiblilty and a miniscule raise...fine...whatever. I do it, and he also catches wind that I have been a supervisor at my other job at the university for 3 years. Well, this just sends him over the moon. Wow, someone who is actually dilligent and has the experience I'm looking for" he's done. So he informs me of this, and offers me a job a supervisor over the telemarketers, I really don't want to do it, but my lack of funds outweighs my personal judgement so I say yes. Keep in mind, I said earlier that he is a moron.

So he puts an ad in the local paper. An ad not specifying experience, or education needed or age. So can you take one as guess as to what kind of applicants we get.

Second problem, which prompted my college tirade earlier.
With the exception of one applicant, they were all black, and she was also the most professionally dressed. One girl actually showed up, for a job interview mind you, in
jogging pants and tennis shoes. One came in jeans and shirt with no bra, and one 15 year old boy showed up even though he was told on the phone not to. Yes, all black. I think all black people deserve a fair shot there are many intelligent and hard working black people there who deserve a good job, but will not get it because they are black. But damn, the ones who are not employed, have they not caught on why yet. Has someone not told them, or are they just so ghetto that they truly believe someonwe is going to hire them when they wear a brown weave ponytail attached to black hair.

Some of the resumes that I looked at said they went to community college. But don't they teach you at a community college that you come to a professional job setting dressed professionally.

So if I work hard, people will promote me to shitty positions, and if I don't and I cuss out my boss I don't work period. Either way, I'm still broke. Like I said, I'm still fucked.

1 comment:

mrcrazyone said...

I am feeling you on this post. . I had a friend go to an interview in shorts. He is not a bad person he just did not know better. Once we got older, we sat down and it came up. He said he was angry and embarrassed once he realized the mistake he had made. I think a lot of the time there is truly a lack of knowledge. Many people just do not know better. He is now a college graduate and a successful manager. He says when interviewing he will sometimes talk to young people about how they should dress and conduct themselves and tell them to come back in a couple of days